Working as a Black Cab Driver
If you enjoy driving and working with the public then working as a black cab driver could be the perfect job for you. Black cabs are synonymous with UK, especially London and working as a black cab driver provides you a level of freedom that you just don’t have when working behind a desk.
Below are some of the main requirements and things you need to consider to decide if you’re suited to working as a cab driver.
Below are some of the main requirements to become a black cab driver in the UK –
- You must be at least 21 years old
- You must have a full UK driving licence
- You must be eligible to live and work in the UK
These are just the basic requirements; you must also meet medical and character requirements. The requirements also vary depending on what part of the country you live in. For example to become a black cab driving in London, you must be able to prove that you have a high level of knowledge of the city’s roads and major landmarks by passing a competency test known as the ‘Knowledge’.
If you work as an owner driver then you’ll also need to take care of your own insurance. Black cab insurance is available from many insurance providers so you won’t have any problems getting quotes, especially if you use an insurance comparison service that enables you to get multiple quotes at once.
You should always think about any steps you can take in order to reduce the cost of your insurance, such as making your cab secure, parking it safely and getting multiple quotes.
Things to think about
- Are you suited to the job? – In order to work as a black cab driver, you must be able to deal with stress on the roads. This is especially true if you plan to work in London, which is notorious for its congested roads and poor driving conditions. Think about how you are generally when driving and what sort of situations make you stressed the most.
- Can you work unsociable hours? – This is another fundamental question to ask yourself. If you’re not able or prepared to work unsociable hours, at least some of the time, then working as a black cab driver might not be for you since that’s what your employer might require.